I've been dabbling off and on with the Elm-Chan FatFS library. I was having a lot of issues customizing it for this project because I am an assembly language programmer and sometimes "C" code can be a bit baffling and frustrating for me to figure out ... especially when it's some one else's code. I … Continue reading Success with FAT library !
As I might have mentioned earlier, I was debating whether to focus on the FatFS library conversion or layout the PCB. I was at the point that I needed the PCB to do any software development beyond the FatFS library conversion. Well, after messing around with the FatFS conversion for a few days and knowing … Continue reading PC Board artworks off to the fabricator
I am currently looking at SD memory card libraries for the AVR. All of them are written in either pure "C" or in "C++" (as ARDUINO libraries). I am looking more closely at the "tinyFAT" and "FATFs" implementations since they are written in pure "C" . Since I am an assembly language programmer, I will … Continue reading Progress Update
I decided to add-on the 82C51A just to try some Z80 coding. I figured that I already had the 82C51A UART and its smaller in size (DIP-28) than an 82C55 PIO (DIP-40). I added it to the solder-less bread board and checked all my connections for (proper) continuity. All tested well for continuity, so off … Continue reading Z80 testing – Simple program to exercise the UART
In the previous post, I stated that I was finally able to get the Z88DK software development suite up and running. I should point out that I am running Linux Mint 13 on an AMD64 CPU. DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint DISTRIB_RELEASE=13 DISTRIB_CODENAME=maya DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 13 Maya" NAME="Ubuntu" VERSION="12.04.5 LTS, Precise Pangolin" ID=ubuntu ID_LIKE=debian PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu precise (12.04.5 LTS)" VERSION_ID="12.04" … Continue reading Getting the Z88DK software development suite up and running
I have been testing the current breadboard circuit. I decided to add in an 82C51A UART with the intention of writing some code just to test the Z88DK software development suite, which I finally got to compile properly. More on that in another post. As stated in the last post, I had a few I/O pins … Continue reading More testing of the memory and I/O address decoder PLD
Update: It has been decades since I worked with and programmed the Z80's. In my "original" design of the address decoder, I used address lines addr[15:10] for decoding into 1K "pages" when in fact, I should have decoded A15 for the RAM chip selects and addresses A7-A4 for the I/O addresses ... because the Z80's … Continue reading Programming the memory and I/O address decoder PLD